1-12 ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts
40 ounces frozen chopped spinach
1 large onion, chopped
5 tablespoons butter
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons garlic salt
1 1/2 cups Parmesan/Romano grated cheese
2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 350f degrees. Lightly spray 9×13 glass casserole with non-stick spray.
1. Defrost spinach in microwave or on range top. Once defrosted, spoon spinach into a strainer and press as much liquid as possible out. Transfer spinach to a mixing bowl.
2. Drain artichoke hearts in strainer and press as much oil out as possible. Add to bowl with spinach.
3. Saute onion in 4 tablespoons of butter over medium heat until translucent and soft. Add onions to Spinach and artichokes.
4. In small mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, cheese, garlic salt and lemon juice. Pour over spinach mixture and combine well. Transfer mixture to greased casserole dish.
5. In pan that onions were sauteed in, add last tablespoon of butter and melt over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and toss to coat. Sprinkle buttered breadcrumbs over top of casserole.
6. Bake for 20 – 30 minutes.
Notes: This casserole can be made ahead and refrigerated. Just leave the breadcrumbs off until ready to bake. I usually leave the breadcrumbs off until the last 10 minutes of baking so they don’t over brown. I’ve had times where I didn’t drain the spinach enough and there was liquid on the top of the casserole…just keep baking until it evaporates.